The communities, residents, organisations and local businesses of Kielder and Newcastleton villages are giving their full support to this event in a variety of ways. They welcome mountain bikers to the area and actively promote and encourage cycling. In return, please show your support for them.
Mobile Phone Signal - there isn't any. Plan ahead.
Event Amenities & Extra Camping (.doc) Extra services being laid on for the event.
Kielder Accommodation 2010 (.doc)
Local Towns & Villages
- Kielder, Northumberland
www.VisitKielder.com for loads more local info.
- Kielder Campsite - ring Janet to book the main campsite, or the overflow campsite in the village. See the Event Amenities & Extra Camping (.doc) sheet for more details.
- Kielder Village Store - local village shop stocking the basics with a cash back facility.
- Number 27 B&B - MTB friendly B&B in Kielder. Comfy beds, hot showers, great breakfast. 5 minutes to trailhead. Self-catering available. Ring Jill quick - limited availability!
- Youth Hostel - cheap accommodation in the village just 1/4 mile from the start
- Hawkhirst Activity Centre (4.2 miles)
email Hawkhirst or call 01434 250217 to book.
- Newcastleton, Roxburghshire (15 miles) www.VisitNewcastleton.com for more local info.
- Rock UK Adventure Centre - camping and self-catering log cabins available, with a communal kitchen
- The Grapes Hotel - legendary cycling hotel supporting the event as well as providing first rate accommodation. (Speak to them nicely and they'll do you a full Scottish breakfast before the race!)
- The Olive Tree Cafe - great food, great coffee, fantastic cakes and a few bike spares. They'll be supplying the hot food at the Newcastleton Feed Station. Cafe located in the centre of Newcastleton, cyclists more than welcome!
- Bellingham, Northumberland (15 miles)
- The nearest petrol station, make sure you fill up before getting to the race venue.
- Hawick, Roxburgshire (28 miles)
Nearest Train Stations
- Hexham, Northumberland (35 miles)
- Carlisle, Cumbria (40 miles)
- Newcastle Upon Tyne (55 miles)
- Newcastle International (50 miles)
- Edinburgh Airport (80 miles)
Village Map (1.1MB jpg)
To help you find your way around the village we've produced a colour-coded map (got my felt tip pens out!) to show you the best way to get to your camp site, parking and registration. There'll also be loads of signage out, please follow it and don't take any short cuts.
If you're booked into one of the camp sites in the village, please go there first and then walk to Registration at the Castle.
Please drive carefully through the village and give way to pedestrians and cyclists.